Gabion Wall Design Guide
For guide pricing and/or feasibility, a guide design for an Intermesh Gabion Wall can be estimated using the following principles:-
- The width of the base of the wall (measurement from front to back) must be at least half the total build height of the wall, for example, a 2m high wall must be at least 1m wide and a 3m high wall must be at least 1.5m wide.
- To comply with BS 8002 which provides guidance for 'future unplanned excavation' the gabion wall should ideally be embedded by 0.5m. Therefore, when quantifying height you should allow for the additional 0.5m in your total build height.
- Gabion walls benefit from the stretcher bond construction e.g. for a course of 2.0 x 1.0 x 1.0m the course above should have a 1.0m basket at either end providing an off-set over the baskets below.
- An effective batter on the face of the wall is required and should be at least 1in8 (H:V). This can be provided by either a sloping face constructed on a sloping formation or by stepping back successive courses, or by a combination of both.
- The gabion in-fill should be a Class 6G Gabion Stone, which is ideally a 100mm - 150mm hard durable stone. For budget purposes you should allow for 1.7 tonnes per m3.
- The foundation most appropriate for a gabion wall is 150mmm of well-compacted granular material - such as a Type 1. Concrete foundations are also an option but not usually required.
- The backfill behind the wall is critical factor from a design perspective. A wedge of well-compacted granular material extending to a 45° line up from the rear of the foundation should be provided.
- Gabion walls should not be subject to imposed loads from the foundations of other structures without detailed consideration.
Warning: Designs will vary significantly depending on ground condition and loading. Prior to construction any wall design should be verified by Intermesh or a suitably qualified engineer.
This information is for guidance only and does not constitute a formal design by Intermesh. We are able to provide a full design service, incorporating Design Calculations, Working Drawings and Professional Indemnity Insurance. Please contact our offices to discuss the relevant fees.